London-based studio, Firefly Studios, has released Stronghold 2: Steam Edition, a remaster of the original game, on Steam.
Essentially, this just an update for the original game that restores multiplayer after GameSpy shuttered, which prevented people from playing together and knocking down each other’s castles.
For anyone who already owns Stronghold 2 on Steam, this update will be dished out for free. If you don’t own the castle-building and siegecraft strategy game on Valve’s platform, you can snag the remaster for $14.99 USD. However, if you pick it up before October 12, you will be rewarded a 15 percent discount that knocks the price down to $12.74.
In addition to restoring the game’s multiplayer (which notably doesn’t allows bots), the update includes improved visuals, Steam Workshop integration, six new maps, achievements, a digital art book and soundtrack, and Steam trading cards.
For those that don’t know: Stronghold 2 is a real-time strategy game that was released in April 2005, and that sees players develop a stronghold in the middles ages. It is notably the sequel to the beloved Strongholds, which released four years earlier in 2001.
The following elevator pitch of the game is provided via its Steam page:
Stronghold 2: Steam Edition allows players to experience true ‘castle life’ gameplay. Entertain your subjects or rule with an iron fist, dispensing medieval justice to overworked and malnourished peasants. With powerful barons jostling for power over a disintegrating kingdom, it is up to you to stem the tides of ambition and unite the land under the one true King! With an intricate economy, siege warfare, crime and punishment systems and classic medieval events, this highly anticipated sequel to the award-winning Stronghold comes packed with new additions to classic Stronghold gameplay.
- Stronghold Reforged – Enjoy Steam multiplayer, Workshop, achievements, visual enhancements, new maps and more!
- Rule as You Desire – Rehabilitate or simply execute thieving peasants using everything from gibbets to gallows!
- Simulate Castle Life – Duel inside buildings, hold lavish banquets or build a war economy and lay siege to rival lords.
- Take the Crown – Gain Honour by title, strategy or force and dominate the new ‘Kingmaker’ skirmish mode.
- Craft Custom Maps – Create and share custom scenarios via Steam Workshop using the in-game map editor.
- Besiege Your Friends – Battle up to eight players online in Kingmaker and Deathmatch game modes.
Below, you can check out an official launch trailer that accompanied the release: